Diabetes can have a significant impact on oral health, which in turn affects patients’ overall health and quality of life. The purpose of this course is to provide nurses with the information necessary to identify oral complications of diabetes and educate patients with diabetes regarding the steps necessary to prevent periodontal disease. In addition, members of the public may use this course to enhance their personal knowledge of the subject matter presented.
Upon completion of this course, you should be able to:
1. Outline the prevalence of diabetes in the United States.
2. Review the physiology of the oral cavity.
3. Identify the mechanisms that influence the development of oral complications in patients with diabetes.
4. Describe the link between periodontal disease and other diabetes-related complications.
5. Discuss the options for treatment and prevention of diabetes-related oral complications.
This 2-hour continuing education course is available for download for professional development; if continuing education credit is desired, please see instructions included in eBook.