Medical Abbreviations and Terminology
Use it as a learning tool and as a reference guide to decoding medical terminology and abbreviations. Over 2,000 abbreviations including medical organizations and personnel, Latin abbreviations, Prefixes, Suffixes, and Combining Forms, List of medical roots, Measurement Units, Anatomical terms with color diagrams for Position, Direction, and Motion.
Intended for everyone interested in medicine including medical students, nursing and dental students, nurses and doctors.
Over 2,000 abbreviations.
Abbreviations for medical organizations and personnel.
Prefixes, Suffixes, and Combining Forms.
List of medical roots.
Anatomical terms with color diagrams for Position, Direction, and Motion
Measurement Units: Metric system (SI), SI writing style, Powers of 10 prefixes, United States customary units
Access the guide anytime, anywhere – at home, on the train, in the subway.
Always have the guide available for a quick reference.
Search for the words or phrases
Navigate from Table of Contents or read page by page
Text annotation and mark-up
Examples of abbreviations that start with ‘a’
– A&Ox3 Alert and Oriented to person, place, and time
– A&Ox4 Alert and Oriented to person, place, time, and circumstances (often used interchangeably with A&Ox3)
– AAA Abdominal aortic aneurysm
– Ab Antibody
– ABC aspiration biopsy cytology
– ABD or abd abdomen
– ABG Arterial blood gases
– ABMT Autologous bone marrow transplantation
– ABPI Ankle brachial pressure index
– ABVD doxorubicin bleomycin vinblastine dacarbazine First-line treatment for Hodgkin’s lymphoma.
– ABX antibiotics “Bugjuice”
– a.c. before food, from Latin, ante cibum
– ACE Angiotensin converting enzyme
– ACEI Angiotensin converting enzyme inhibitors
– ACh Acetylcholine
– ACL Anterior cruciate ligament
– ACLS Advanced cardiac life support
– ACTH Adrenocorticotropic hormone
– AD Alzheimer’s Disease
– ADA Adenosine deaminase
– ADC AIDS dementia complex
– ADD Attention Deficit Disorder
– ADH Antidiuretic hormone
– ADHD Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder
– ADL activities of daily living
– ad lib as desired from Latin, ad libitum
– adm admission
– ADR Adverse drug reaction
– ADR Ain’t doin’ right
– AEM Ambulatory electrocardiogram monitoring
– AF atrial fibrillation
– AF Amniotic fluid
– AFB acid fast bacilli
– AFO ankle-foot orthosis
– AFP Alpha-fetoprotein
– Ag Antigen
– AGMI Ain’t Gonna Make It
– AHF Antihemophilic factor
– AHG Antihemophilic globulin
– AHH aryl hydrocarbon hydroxylase
– AI Artificial insemination
– AI Aortic insufficiency
– AICD Automatic implanted cardiac defibrillator
– AID Artificial insemination by donor
– AIDS Acquired Immune Deficiency Syndrome
– AIH artificial insemination by husband
– aka also known as
– AKA Above knee amputation
– ALG Antilymphocytic globulin
– ALL Acute lymphocytic leukemia
– ALP Alkaline phosphatase
– ALPS Autoimmune lymphoproliferative syndrome