The purpose of this course is to provide healthcare professionals with the knowledge necessary to recognize and intervene early in order to prevent adverse and potentially irreversible consequences of anabolic-androgenic steroid misuse. In addition, members of the public may use this course to enhance their personal knowledge of the subject matter presented.
Upon completion of this course, you should be able to:
1. Describe the pharmacology and mechanism of action of anabolic steroids, specifically testosterone.
2. Outline the range of therapeutic indications of anabolic steroids.
3. Identify the epidemiology, risk factors, and characteristics of anabolic steroid abusers.
4. List the potential adverse effects of anabolic steroid use.
5. Discuss the signs and symptoms of anabolic steroid use and abuse.
6. Recall appropriate interventions to manage the physical and neuropsychiatric effects of acute and chronic anabolic steroid use in current and past users.
This 5-hour continuing education course is available for download for professional development; if continuing education credit is desired, please see instructions included in eBook.