The Athlete’s Book of Home Remedies: 1,001 Doctor-Approved Health Fixes and
Whether you’re a hardcore competitor or a weekend warrior, this book belongs on your shelf. The Athlete’s Book of Home Remedies is your go-to resource for safe, effective, do-it-yourself treatments whether you have a strain, sprain, or pain that you’ve never felt before.
When you get hurt, you have fears. You have questions. Ice or heat? Should I see a doctor? Will I need surgery? This book answers those questions and allays those fears. Dr. Jordan Metzl, one of the nation’s leading sports medicine physicians, breaks down all the information into easy-to-follow strategies for effective self-treatment—while letting you know in no uncertain terms when you should go see your own doctor, pronto.
The book also answers other common training questions like, “What should I eat to fuel my workouts?” and “What exercises can I do to prevent injury and perform at the next level?” Understand: Metzl isn’t just a doctor. He’s an elite athlete, having completed 9 Ironman triathlons and 29 marathons. He understands the mind of the athlete, how psychologically devastating any injury can be, and what it takes to get you back in your game as quickly and safely as possible.
In The Athletes Book of Home Remedies, you’ll find:
• Eye-popping anatomical illustrations of each injury, detailed symptoms, how the injury happens, and how to fix it
• The secret system of the body that you can tap to boost performance and prevent injury
• Concussions: What you need to know
• The most annoying sports maladies ever—from athlete’s foot to side stitches—cured!
• The Iron Strength Workouts: Intense, total-body exercise routines for all fitness levels designed to build injury-proof athletes
• Two comprehensive eating plans, each with a week’s worth of meals engineered to fit the specific nutrition needs for endurance training or strength training
• Dozens of sneaky tips for gaining an edge in any sport
Jordan D. Metzl, MD, is a nationally recognized sports medicine physician at Hospital for Special Surgery, in New York City. His practice treats more than 20,000 patients and he is regularly voted among New York’s top sports medicine doctors by New York magazine. He lectures and teaches all over the world and has appeared on the Today show and Good Morning America.
Dr. Metzl specializes in nonsurgical treatment, working to help patients get back to their favorite activities as soon as is safely possible. He also strives to be a positive example for his patients, teaching his “Iron Strength” workout classes on weekends and maintaining his own fitness at an elite level. “I love being fit and active, and I like to encourage others to do the same,” he says. “I feel like being a role model for my patients really helps me communicate with them better. I want to keep them on the field because I know how much better I feel when I’m out there doing what I love to do. Fitness keeps me injury-free and helps me in all aspects of my life, both inside and outside the office.”
Mike Zimmerman is a contributing editor to Men’s Health and coauthor of The Men’s Health Big Book of Food & Nutrition and The Impact! Body Plan.