Understanding Type 2 Diabetes
Diabetes is the world’s modern pandemic. But it needn’t mean a world of frustration, restrictions and complications. Most people with diabetes are able to live full, free and healthy lives. It just takes clear understanding and good management.
In ‘Understanding Type 2 Diabetes’, Professor Merlin Thomas of the renowned Baker IDI Heart and Diabetes Institute clearly explains:
• What diabetes is and how it comes about.
• What is the right diet for someone with diabetes, and how to achieve it.
• How exercise can improve and maintain your health.
• The medical aspects of diabetes care, including the best ways to control your waistline, blood glucose, blood pressure and cholesterol levels.
• How to prevent and treat the major complications of diabetes.
Having diabetes is not easy. But its management needn’t be complex or complicated. With ‘Understanding Type 2 Diabetes’ to guide you, you’ll soon realise that successfully managing diabetes is not only feasible but is also essential.
Professor Merlin Thomas is a clinician scientist at Baker IDI. He works extensively with patients with diabetes and their doctors, as well as performing research in experimental models of diabetic complications. He has written over two hundred papers, book chapters and books on diabetes management. His work on diabetic complications has received both local and international recognition including the Victorian Premier’s Award for Medical Research.
Baker IDI Heart & Diabetes Institute is the foremost medical institute in Australasia for research into diabetes and cardiovascular disease. Baker IDI’s work extends from the laboratory to wide-scale community studies with a focus on diagnosis, prevention and treatment.